Direct and Indirect Speech


Direct Speech

✗ Direct Speech is when we report what someone says by repeating the exact words.

✗ In writing, we use inverted commas :


Michele : I’ll call them tomorrow.                       (Original Statement)

Michele said, “I’ll call them tomorrow.”         (Direct Speech)

“I’ll call them tomorrow”, said Michelle.         (Direct Speech)




Indirect Speech

✗ Indirect Speech (also calles reported speech) is when we give the same meaning of what someone says without repeating the exact words.
✗ In this case, we don’t use inverted commas and certain changes may be necessary:

David : I have to talk to you about something.             (Original Statement)

David said he had to talk to me about something.     (Indirect Speech)


Example Direct and Indirect Speech

✗ Kalimat Perintah dan Larangan

✔   Kalimat Perintah

Dinda asked me, “Open the door.” (Direct Speech) Dinda asked me to open the door. (Indirect Speech)

✔   Kalimat Larangan


Dinda asked me, “Don’t open the door.”

Dinda asked me not to open the door.



(Direct Speech)

(Indirect Speech)


✗ Kalimat Pernyataan


● Khansa told her friend, “I will go to Lampung.”

● Khansa told her friend that she would go to Lampung.



(Direct Speech)

(Indirect Speech)

✗ Kalimat Pertanyaan


✔  Mr. Ali asked me, “Where do you live.”

✔  Mr. Ali asked me where I lived.


(Direct Speech)

(Indirect Speech)


✗ Simple Present menjadi Simple past


She said, “I buy a pen.”

She said that she bought a pen.


(Direct Speech)

(Indirect Speech)


✗ Simple Past Tense diubah menjadi Past Perfect Tense

•    She said, “I bought a pen.”                         (Direct Speech)

•    She said that she had bought a pen.     (Indirect Speech)

✗ Present Continuous Tense menjadi Past Continous Tense

➢ She said, “I am buying a pen.”               (Direct Speech)

➢ She said that she was buying a pen. (Indirect Speech)

✗ Present Perfect Tense menjasi Past Perfect Tense

✔  She said, “I have bought a pen.”       (Direct Speech)

✔  She said that she had bought a pen. (Indirect Speech)

✗ Present Perfect Continuous menjadi Past Perfect Continuous

She said, “I have been buying a pen.”                      (Direct speech)

She said that she had been buying a pen.                (Indirect Speech)

✗ Simple Future Tense menjadi Past Future Tense

● She said, “I will buy a pen”.                        (Direct Speech)

● She said that she would buy a pen.         (Indirect Speech)

✗ Future Continuous Tense menjadi Past Future Continuous Tense

➢ She said, “I will be buying a pen.”                    (Direct Speech)

➢ She said that she would be buying a pen.     (Indirect Speech)

Komentar